ST. SERAPHIM OF SAROV (JAN. 2ND)

A Contemporary Icon of the Life of St. Seraphim of Sarov

Edited by Bp. Joseph

Today, on January 2nd, the Western Orthodox Church commemorates St. Seraphim of Sarov (Born 1754 - Died 1833), a great mystic and miracle worker, and one of the most beloved saints in the contemporary Orthodox tradition. He is known for his friendships with animals, and particularly for his unique relationship with a giant brown bear, who acted as a companion and guardian.

ST. SERAPHIM AND THE BEAR

“A bear approached St. Seraphim and sat at his feet and started eating from his hand. My whole body was shaking. While the Saint was busy feeding her crumbs from the bread, he took the crumbs out of his bag with a loving calmness, as if he is not dealing with a bear but with a sheep. The thing that gave me a deeper impression was the face of the Saint! He was pure and transparent, joyful, like an angel's face. Finally, when I felt safe and courageous, he gave me what was left of the bread and told me to feed the bear myself. But I refused to say, "No father, she’ll eat my hands too." He smiled and said to me, "Trust me sister, she won't eat your hand." Then I took the bread and gave it to her. I felt such great joy, it made me upset when the bread ran out. Once again, a while later some visitors came to visit St. Seraphim, and the Saint suddenly received an unexpected kiss from the bear, which frightened the guests with the bear’s unexpected appearance. The Saint then said to the bear: “Hear me, Misha” (for that is how he called her), why don't you bring me something to present to my guests, instead of scaring them? The bear obeyed and came back shortly, walking on its two back legs, carrying a bee’s hive filled with honey with her front paws!” (An Account by an Anonymous Nun)

St. Seraphim and Misha

ON THE TRANSFIGURATION OF ST. SERAPHIM

Motovilov was sitting on a stump in the woods; St. Seraphim was squatting across from him and telling his pupil the meaning of a Christian life, explaining for what we Christians live on earth. "It is necessary that the Holy Spirit enter our heart. Everything good that we do, that we do for Christ, is given to us by the Holy Spirit, but prayer most of all, which is always available to us," he said. "Father," answered Motovilov, "how can I see the grace of the Holy Spirit? How can I know if He is with me or not?" St. Seraphim began to give him examples from the lives of the saints and apostles, but Motovilov still did not understand. The elder then firmly took him by the shoulder and said to him, "We are both now, my dear fellow, in the Holy Spirit." It was as if Motovilov's eyes had been opened, for he saw that the face of the elder was brighter than the sun. In his heart Motovilov felt joy and peace, in his body a warmth as if it were summer, and a fragrance began to spread around them. Motovilov was terrified by the unusual change, but especially by the fact that the face of the starets shone like the sun. But St. Seraphim said to him, "Do not fear, dear fellow. You would not even be able to see me if you yourself were not in the fullness of the Holy Spirit. Thank the Lord for His mercy toward us." Thus, Motovilov understood, in mind and heart, what the descent of the Holy Spirit and His transfiguration of a person meant. (From the Little Russian Philokalia) 

St. Seraphim Revealing the Holy Spirit to His Disciple, Motovilov

ON GENTLENESS OF SOUL

St. Seraphim said - “You cannot be too gentle, too kind. Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other. All condemnation is from the devil. We condemn others only because we shun knowing ourselves. When we gaze at our own failings, we see such a morass of filth that nothing in another can equal it. That is why we turn away, and make much of the faults of others. Instead of condemning others, strive to reach inner peace. Keep silent, refrain from judgement.”


PRAYER OF ST. SERAPHIM 

Hear, O Lord, the voice of Thy servant who cries to Thee, and manifest Thy light to me who am deprived of light, and give me Thy grace, for I have no hope whatever, that I may always trust in Thy help and power. Turn my weeping into joy, rend my rags and gird me with gladness. Grant that I may rest from my dark deeds and enjoy the morning calm with Thy chosen, O Lord, whence all pain, sorrow and sighing have fled away. May the door of Thy Kingdom be opened to me, that I may enter with those who rejoice in the light of Thy countenance, O Lord, and that even I may receive eternal life; through Christ Jesus our Lord, who livest and reignest with Thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, one God, world without end. Amen. 

St. Seraphim, pray for us!




Comments